Today is the day Marty McFly traveled to in Back to the Future II. #BackToTheFuture is trending on Twitter and Facebook. Several GOP presidential hopefuls (Carly Fiorina and Senator Marco Rubio) released ads based on the sci-fi comedy classic. And plenty of brands are trying to make sure that their products are part of the story.
Here are a few highlights from the day thus far:
- Pepsi has released a limited edition Pepsi Perfect drink in honor of the day. This is a direct reference from the movie, it is a drink that Marty and Doc see people drinking in 2015. The bottles cost $20.15, so that’s a clever way to get people to spend waaaay to much on a soda. But it worked: Pepsi sold out of the limited edition early. And people are not happy.
- Want to ride in a DeLorean? Call for a Lyft today in New York City, and there’s a chance you will get to open your car door up, instead of out!
- Ford is offering a “Flux Capacitor” for the Focus and the Fiesta. But before you get too excited, be forewarned: “For recreational use only. Interfering with major historical events is illegal and could have unintended consequences for all of humanity.”
- Universal Studios released a trailer for Jaws 19! This time, they are fighting to save the oceans.
- When Marty traveled to today, he headed to an arcade and played a game called Wild Gunmen. Nintendo has now made this game available via their Wii U Virtual Console.
- Then of course there’s the Cubs. Their success this year has gone almost completely according to the movie’s script.
Has your brand done anything special for the big day? If so, share it on social media, using the hashtag #BackToTheFuture. Tag Reverbal Communications on Facebook or Twitter–we’d love to share your story!